5 tips to selecting your perfect Phoenix wedding photographer
Finding the perfect phoenix wedding photographer for you can be a daunting task. There are so many “photographers” in the market. With the availability of digital cameras, so many websites and blogs to sift through, it can be a daunting task. The good news is I have 5 tips to help you choose the photographer that is perfect for you with ease!
1. Search the Web
Duh of course! But seriously use Facebook and search Google to narrow down your choices. Established and professional photographers have a strong online presence. It will be consistent across all social and online profiles and look, well, professional. Once you have a list narrowed down, give them a call! Get a feel for them and if you like their vibe, set up an in-person meeting! It will quickly become clear whether or not you are a good fit!
If you expect great art, then you should also expect to make an investment that is equal to your expectations. Photography is an investment in your memories, heirlooms for your family. Choosing a less expensive photographer might seem like a good option, but there is usually a reason they are so cheap. They might be just starting out. Which is great! But if you have the budget, you may want to think about what is most important to you. Great photographers with great service are typically booked out in advance and the price reflects this.
Have you ever met someone and felt like you’ve known them forever? Some people you just click with. That, you cannot buy. You will know when you find the right photographer, because you will hopefully have that feeling! You are hiring someone that will spend 7+ hours with you on the most important day of your life! If you don’t feel like they are a friend or family member, you might not have as much fun or feel relaxed when they are taking your photo. If you can’t be natural in front of them, your photos won’t look natural either. So you need that chemistry! Otherwise, your photos might not fully capture your true personalities.
4. What’s your style?
There are a couple of different styles that photographers will say they fall into. You may or may not know what they mean. So let me help you decode.
- Lifestyle : The photography that is natural and not posed. Their goal is to primarily capture your intimate moments throughout the day. The images should look relaxed, natural and easy. It’s all about capturing your emotions, your true personality and honest interactions.
- Natural Light : This is rather self explanatory. They only use light from the sun to shoot in. Natural light photography tends to be warm, radiant from the sun and have a lot of back light or a glow! They usually only work during certain times of the day, around sunset or sunrise.
- Posed : This is a more traditional approach to photography. Basically, you pose in front of the camera and are directed by the photographer. You will be directed to many poses that put you in the most flattering angles and highlight your best features. Good posing shouldn’t look artificial.
- Studio : This style is heavy in using lighting and sets or backgrounds. The best studio photographers are masters at lighting and create light that enhances your best features. These portraits also tend to be more posed. But not always. This type of photography is all about controlling all the factors. Now you may be thinking, how does this relate to weddings. Well they could want to do your engagement photos at their studio. Or use heavy lighting throughout the entire day of your wedding.
No matter what style you choose, identify these characteristics when researching photographers and determine which of these best fits your style!
5. Are they just a Phoenix wedding photographer? Or more than that?
A great photographer not only is there to photograph your big day, they also will guide you before the wedding day on how your day will run. They should ask questions like, what is your ceremony time? When is sunset that day? Are you seeing each other before the ceremony or no? They will help you create a timeline for the day that leaves you time to capture all the moments you want documented in a non-rushed way. But not only that, they are so much more? Do they know the cupid shuffle? At a wedding recently, the guests didn’t know the line dances the DJ was playing. So our associate, Briana stepped in a showed them! I can’t tell you how many wedding’s I’ve put the veil in for the bride. Most of the time the hair stylist is long gone when that gets put in. It’s little details like that you can’t plan for. But they just happen. Do you want a photographer that is just their to take photos? Or do you want someone that cares about you and your wedding day? That wants to make your perfect day…perfect. That’s the kind of photographer you want to search for.
I hope these tips help you find the perfect Phoenix wedding photographer for you!
Extra bonus tip! It’s always a good idea to ask a photographer for a full gallery of images from the wedding. A good photographer will have consistent style and look throughout the entire event. Make sure it’s a full gallery, so you can evaluate all their work.